Skip to main content

The Small Island Nation: Taiwan.


The mix of two worlds. Modern city vibes ( Think NYC fashion and busy rushed people on streets) and people still riding all over the country on their scooters (Reminded me of India).

Taiwan is one of those countries that is often overlooked and very underrated. I actually did not know anyone that had been here before (except for my friend Gonzalo living there of course) and of all the travel bloggers I follow only one had reviews and recommendations for this wonderful country. It reminded me a lot of  Japan! Even the fashion.

Look at this adorable Mister donut, featuring Hello Kitty everything.

So happy with out treats!Gonzalo was not impressed.

Happy mini donut set!

Cutest coffee lid I have ever seen!

Dog Cafe!

My first Taiwanese Bubble tea, Thanks Chalo!

Hello Kitty erthang!

Our welcome party feast! So bomb! Rechao, highly recommend. 

Gonzalo organized a welcome dinner and a night out for us upon arrival. It was just glorious. Taiwan has a lot of share plate style dining, it is very nice. I really enjoy that style of eating and coming together. 

I had such a blast and of course as with every trip I take, I learned a lot. My friend Gonzalo was a wonderful host, I am glad he told me to come since Taiwan is so close to Japan! ( oh and round trip flights were $150 USD!) I always like to have at least a month to do some research of places I must see and foods I must try before embarking on a trip. I made a quick list and Gonzalo was super helpful in making an itinerary for me and adding other suggested day trips to my plans. It was so wonderful to also have him as a guide almost everyday (actually everyday except the last day). Gosh he is one amazing friend. Seriously though how have I gotten so lucky with my friends? Shout out to you all!
Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall













Hands down my favorite thing about Taiwan besides of course the company of my friend, cousin and making new friends, my fav was the insanely cheap and amazing BUBBLE TEA! holy smokes, one dollar for a huge bubble tea? waoooo! Also FYI, bubble tea was invented in Taiwan! We got to go to the tea house where it all started. More of that further down.

Eggplant with pork bits and cashews. To die for.

Din Tai Fung was amazing!


Taipei 101, formerly tallest building in the world, now tallest green building in the world.

We love Taiwan.

Day trip to Jiufen:


Train trips in Taiwan are insanely cheap and comfortable!

Decorating their own lantern ad releasing it.



Peanut Ice Cream Spring Rolls- so bomb and  a must try when in Taiwan!


My love for horses is real.
Jiufen Old Street and for those that love anime- Spirited Away!

Teas, teas and more teas!



Searching for waterfalls.

Huevitos.

Street food.

This is what I live for, fruits and veggies yum!



This amazing papaya, strawberry and mango smoothie..wha.

We hiked up to Elephant Mountain and got to see this gorgeous view! Go before 10pm, because after 10pm it is lights out for Taipei 101.




We waited over 20 minutes to get a picture from this rock.

A trip to Hualien and Taroko Gorge

I love nature and this was a must see on my Taiwan list! It did not disappoint and we stayed at the bougiest hotel on our whole country hopping trip!
Ocean views on our way to Hualien.

Arrived!

So happy we found our hotel. After a couple of missed turns.

Feeling like royalty, super cheap place! $20 a night!





This meal was so yummy, the sweet tofu tasted kind of like orange chicken.
Can you even lift?

On our way to Taroko!

Walking around Taroko Gorge, there is so much to see and many trails!




I love blue colored water.



When we got lost for a little bit but it was beautiful.


Sakura- Cherry Blossom themed everything!

Hello Kitty Taxi.

Teas for days.

Heart shaped Doritos!

Beautiful streets with the red lanterns.

a Taiwanese breakfast.


Our last trip was to Sun Moon Lake and Taichung City, we did not have much time here and I wish we would have planned this part of the trip better, and evening with a night and a morning is not enough!

The view from our hotel.

Sun Moon Lake




Fruits , fruits and more fruits please!

And here is our Taichung part of the trip...


This super cute ice cream place with delicious flavors.





Arriving at our last stop in Taichung, where bubble tea was invented!


Such a cute tea house.

On our way to the airport, bye bye Taiwan.

Our train is fast!

Airport shops... sigh I want it all.

Until next time Taiwan you were such a gem!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corazón contento en Bali

" Pictures are a one way ticket to a memory..." - unknown Well I haven't blogged in some days now ( I don't plan on blogging every single day... some of you asked ) A lot has happened and my heart has been racing with excitement every single day. I am In love with the Islands of Indonesia, and I hope that you all can experience it some day. It's true that pictures are worth a thousand words, so here are some pictures and small captions. It's Tuesday on my side of the world, and my week in Indonesia is almost over. Every single time I go to a beach and go horseback riding I ask if I can take the horses into the water, thus far different state and country rules of places I have been to don't allow it. In the Gilli Islands horseback riding in the ocean is possible. I have  always wanted to ride in the ocean! My horse was swimming, I was swimming and the wind that hit my face whispered words of freedom. Goal number #35 - check! 

¡Ya llegué!

This is where I am staying, Karana Residence. I finally made it to Bali, Indonesia ! Goodness. So many emociones. I left Oregon on Tuesday... and arrived today Thursday at 2:40pm Bali time. Woah. My first flight from Portland was to Canada ( 1.5 hour flight), then Canada to Singapore (13 hour flight), then Singapore to Manila (3.5 hours ) and finally Manila to Bali ( 3 hours) + about 9 hours at airport transfers... phew!!!  As soon as I arrived at the Bali airport I took out some rupiahs from the ATM and headed out to find a taxi. My "taxi" ended up being some random guy who wasn't a taxi and got lost trying to find Karana... sigh. Wasted 1 whole hour, I mapped it out beforehand and  it was supposed to be a 6 minute drive from airport (eye roll) The roads in Bali are like a labyrinth and everyone is on scooters. Once I got settled I threw my stuff in my room and headed to the beach.  I got to see the sunset and after all those flights and lost drive

"B" as in Beautiful. "B" as in Bali.

"Traveling is the great true love of my life... I am loyal and constant in my love of travel. I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless newborn baby - I just  don't care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because it's mine. Because it looks exactly like me" - E.G.  Beach day today. I grabbed a taxi and asked to be taken to dreamland beach this morning. I was dropped off at another beach instead but it's cool, it was an awesome beach, Suluwan Beach. I had a wonderful breakfast and watched people surf from the hilltop balcony. After I relaxed a bit I walked out, and headed towards Padang Padang Beach. I learned today that there's a lot of locals on their motorbikes looking for tourist that are walking to give them rides. Also known as "ojeks" just locals trying to make some money. Public transportation in Bali is practically non-existent. In Bali you either A) rent